An orderly blog needs blog rules. There can be no order without rules. Without rules there is chaos.
The blog is closed for comments, but I can be reached at Facebook. I may not respond immediately but will try. If you wish to have something posted at the blog that should be seen by others, send it to my FB address, but make sure to follow the blog rules listed here:
- Keep your comment short. Consider that a longer posting should, and may perhaps require to, be posted as a guest-post, so that it can become the beginning of a new discussion thread.
- When making a comment, stay on topic. The title of the initiating posting usually states what the topic is.
- Make no ad-hominem attacks (any statement that: a. appeals to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect, or b. is marked by or is an attack on an opponent’s character rather than being a response to the contentions made).
- Do not swear or use vile language.
- Do not call for revolutions or assassinations.
- Do not deprecate ethnic or racial origins.
- Use facts and logic in your comments.
- You will not be permitted to point to any location of information without stating which specific item of information at that location it is that you refer to and wish the readers to look up. You must also state sufficient details that will enable anyone to find with ease the exact location of a specific item of information you are using to illustrate or support your point of view.
- Do not base your comments on political correctness. (Political correctness usually precludes logic and facts and is generally based on unsubstantiated opinions.)
- Do not troll or pile on (to pile on is to respond to an argument without properly answering a point that was made but to offer instead more opinions that are not or at best only remotely related to the contention).
- Postings may not contain or point to advertising, so as to promote a product or service, but they may identify advertising to illustrate a point under discussion.
- In general, this blog permits freedom of speech. With the ever-intensifying promotion of self-centeredness, especially through the education system during the last few generations, it has come to pass that many people now see freedom of speech as the right to say anything they want, without regard to whether what they say is true or a violation of the standards of civility. That view is not tolerated here.
At dads & things freedom of speech is encouraged, but it is constrained by the obligation to express the truth that can be backed up by information from credible sources and by the obligation to extend common decency to others.
Rights bring responsibilities and obligations. The lack of duties and responsibilities prevents the enjoyment of rights. Exercise your right to free speech responsibly. Without that there will be mob rule and chaos.
- Comments that do not meet all of these rules are unacceptable.
- If you send a FB friend request, in the hope that you will be accepted and can then eventually solicit for financial support, forget it. There is nothing left to give at this end. Don’t even try. That instruction applies only to relatively few people from specific parts of the world. Don’t be offended. Anyone who intends to ask for money, don’t ask. I mean it.
- As long as FB permits people to write to me (that is, as long as FB does not censor me), get in touch with Dads & Things @ FB (the same blog rules apply there).
- Please let us have your comments. Get in touch with Dads & Things @ FB