Update 2019 01 17: Added links to related articles.
h/t Mensactivism.org, by
Saying she wanted to avoid putting her children through another ordeal, a Colorado Springs woman accepted a plea deal Friday and admitted she poured gasoline on her five children and lit them on fire, killing one.
Maria Darlene Gardner, who also uses the last name Joseph, pleaded guilty to child abuse causing death and four counts of child abuse causing serious bodily injury. The deal was mediated Friday before Senior 4th Judicial District Judge Richard Toth.
In exchange for her pleas, prosecutors Jeff Lindsey and Debbie Pearson dropped charges of first-degree murder and 11 other charges.
Gardner, 26, will be sentenced to between 75 and 85 years in prison Feb. 20.
“I thought we could win with the insanity defense,” McHenry said. “An expert psychologist examined her within four days of the fire and decided she was completely psychotic at the time. She chose to do this so her kids would not have to be put through the trauma of testifying in open court.”
- Flawless flawed — What about children?
- Sins of the mother — Updates
- Using kids as weapons
- Woman arrested for shooting boyfriend in the back
- Catherine Kieu sentenced to life — eligible for parole in seven years
- Sins of the mother: the tragedy of neonaticide
- Woman tearfully denies role in foster child’s death
- Social pathology: disaster or goldmine?
- Four Chicago women stab, beat man to death
- Sitter charged with baby’s death in dryer
- Catherine Kieu Trial Update: guilty of severing penis
- Husband shooting death – life insurance bonanza
- Woman arrested • beats up elderly husband
- Woman accused of murdering her husband
- Conditional sentence for killing husband
- Infanticide — a euphemism for child murder
- No jail for convicted woman rapist