Updated 2019 01 26: Added links to related articles.
By The Associated Press
2008 09 08
DAYTON, Ohio – A woman in Dayton, Ohio, has been sentenced to life in prison without a chance of parole for killing her baby daughter in a microwave oven.
Twenty-eight-year-old China Arnold chose not to be in the courtroom for today’s sentencing. Arnold was convicted of aggravated murder in the 2005 death of month-old daughter Paris Talley.
She was spared the death penalty because jurors could not reach a consensus on the punishment.
It was Arnold’s second trial; the first ended in a mistrial when new witnesses surfaced.
Defence lawyer Jon Paul Rion has asked for a third trial, saying a former cellmate who said Arnold confessed has now changed her story….(Source)
Mind you, this was her second trial, and her lawyer is already asking for a third one. It appears to be doubtful that this murderess will in the end receive the punishment she deserves. The only certain thing about this case is that it provides a plenitude of income for the legal industry.
The comments provided by readers of the story provide a bit more information as to the increasing lack of moral standards that brought us to the state where the microwaving of a child demands only a small space or none at all in the newspapers, and where the microwaving of a cat makes the front pages and international news.
I can’t help it, but it seems to me that we didn’t get our priorities so mixed up in the good-old days, when man still was the crown of creation.
- Grandmother of woman who smothered her son speaks
- Sitter charged with baby’s death in dryer
- Woman murdered two husbands and a daughter
- Woman arrested • beats up elderly husband
- Chinese woman given death sentence
- Planned Parenthood advises Girl Scouts
- Mom kills baby, for interrupting FarmVille computer game
- Husband shooting death – life insurance bonanza
- Sins of the mother — Updates