Updated 2019 01 27: Added links to related articles.
Unless you reside in the UK, you are not necessarily qualified to sign the petition, but click on the preceding link to see what you can do.
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Assign equal anonymous rights to both rape victim and accused until verdict is given. More details
Submitted by Christopher Thomas of none – Deadline to sign up by: 27 February 2009 – Signatures: 215
More details from petition creator
It seems more than obvious that whilst rape is a very serious crime, being accused of rape is just as serious. With rape, the stain of being accused does not wash away with the verdict, it stains a character and prevents an equal footing guarenteed by law, especially since until the verdict is given, the accused is innocent.
There is no plausible argument for releasing the name of the accused as this does nothing to further justice, but only serves to punish them outside of the judicial system. The only punishment for rape, should be passed down by a judge, not by newspapers, their peers, or their employers. Therefore revealing their identity is an unjust punishment without basis in english law.
We therefore request that ALL parties to a rape case are anonymous, until a verdict is reached.
- Muslim Grannie: Jihadi By Day, Rape Coordinator by Night
- BBC personality made 40 false rape allegations against her ex-boyfriend
- Rape – propaganda talking-point debunked
- Sources of Indian rape statistics deplorable
- Islamic Rape of Europe : Hyperbole? Justified Claim?
- Teen-aged boy cleared of wrongful rape accusation
- Re: Duke Lacrosse Players • You won’t find this on the front pages of the major dailies