Islam, the “religion of peace,” chapter and verse
The links in the following are to the Quranic Arabic Corpus, an annotated linguistic resource for the Holy Quran.
- Quran 2:191 “Slay the unbelievers wherever you find them.”
- Quran 2:193 “Fight the unbelievers until all of them have been converted to Islam.”
- Quran 2:216 “You must fight for Allah, even if you don’t like doing so.”
- Quran 3:169 “Those who were slain fighting for Allah will live forever and are looked after.”
- Quran 3:28 “Muslims must not take the unbelievers as friends.”
- Quran 3:85 “Any religion other than Islam is not acceptable.”
- Quran 4:95 “Those who don’t fight and sit at home [except for the disabled] are outranked by those who fight for Allah.”
- Quran 4:101 “Its is no sin to shorten your prayers in foreign countries, for the unbelievers are most certainly forever your enemies.”
- Quran 5:33 “Maim and crucify the unbelievers if they criticize Islam.”
- Quran 5:51 “Do not take Jews and Christians as friends or allies.”
- Quran 8:12 “Terrorize and behead those who believe in scriptures other than the Quran.”
- Quran 8:60 “Muslims must muster all weapons to terrorize the unbelievers.”
- Quran 8:65 “The unbelievers are stupid; urge the Muslims to fight them.”
- Quran 9:5 “When the opportunity arises kill the pagans wherever you catch them.”
- Quran 9:29 “Fight the unbelievers until they pay tribute or have been humbled.”
- Quran 9:30 “The Jews say, “Ezra is the son of Allah “; and the Christians say, “The Messiah is the son of Allah.” They are deluded; destroy them.”
- Quran 9:123 “Make war on the unbelievers living in your neighbourhood. Allah will be with you for it.”
- Quran 22:19 “The unbelievers will be punished with garments of fire, and boiling water shall be poured upon their heads.”
- Quran 47:4 “Do not hanker for peace with the unbelievers; behead them and ransom the rest until the holy war against the unbelievers is over.”
- Quran 98:6 “Unbelievers and polytheist will fry in Hell. They are the worst of creatures.”
That should explain what is happening, but if you think that you need more evidence, look here for more references: “Fitna the movie” From that source, a few more citations:
- Quran 4:56 “We will burn unbelievers and give them new skins every time their skins are consumed by the fire, time and again, as often as their skins are consumed by the fire.”
- Quran 4:89 “Do not take friends from amongst the unbelievers, but, if they turn their backs, slay them wherever you find them.”
- Quran 8:39 “Fight the unbelievers until all have been converted to Islam.”
Jihad, to fight for Allah, is obligatory for Muslims.
Jihad, the struggle in the way of Allah, has several aspects: struggle with oneself to live in the way of Allah; struggle to enlighten others as to the nature of Islam and the desirability of conversion; and armed struggle against the enemies of Islam.
The first two interpretations govern the conduct of jihad for the vast majority of Muslims, but for the jihadi, armed struggle is the “forgotten obligation” of Islam and should predominate.
There are two kinds of armed struggle, or holy war, in Islam. Offensive jihad is war against infidels beyond the realm of Islam. Indeed, that part of the world is called the “abode of war” (dar al-Harb). This form of jihad is a collective obligation of the Islamic community and must be declared by an appropriate authority, e.g., a caliph. Not everyone is expected to participate in such a jihad.
Defensive jihad is waged when Muslim territory is attacked or occupied, or when Islam itself is threatened. This form of jihad is an individual duty, and it is incumbent on everyone to combat such enemies or occupiers. As spelled out in Chapter Five, jihadis insist that Islam and Muslims are under attack everywhere—hence the argument that waging jihad is every Muslim’s personal obligation.
For those who cannot fight, there is financial jihad (boycotts); “jihad of the tongue” (propaganda); and even political jihad (engaging in elections), although the latter is highly controversial in violent jihadi circles.
Source: IN THEIR OWN WORDS: Voices of Jihad, Compilation and Commentary
By David Aaron
Published 2008 by the RAND Corporation
You may also wish to look up what the section on Jihad in the book reports on the Islamic stance on the subjects Terrorism (p. 86) and Martyrdom (p. 87)