Update 2018 08 24: Expanded introductory paragraph, added links to related articles.
Global warming — something worth worrying over? Now that the global average temperatures have stagnated over the last 16 years (21 years as of 2018), is there still any cause for alarm? I suppose there would be if the long-term temperature trend were rising, but it is? How about the last 100 years, the last 1000, 10,000, 100,000, million, 100-million or even the last 4.5 billion years? What has the trend been, in general?
Legend of acronyms used for the trend lines in the preceding graph:
- GISP: Greenland Ice Sheet Project
- GISP2: The follow-up U.S. GISP2 project
- Moberg: “Highly variable Northern Hemisphere temperatures reconstructed from low- and high-resolution proxy data,” by Moberg et al. 2005
Trying to Replicate Moberg, by Steve McIntyre
- HadCRUT: The “dataset of monthly instrumental temperature records formed by combining the sea surface temperature records compiled by the Hadley Centre of the UK Met Office and the land surface air temperature records compiled by the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia” More…
- HadCRUT3: “HadCRUT3 is the third major revision of this dataset, combining the CRUTEM3 land surface air temperature dataset with the HadSST2 sea surface temperature dataset” More…
- Keigwin Sargasso: “The Little Ice Age and Medieval Warm Period in the Sargasso Sea,” by Lloyd Keigwin
Well, why don’t you take a look to see whether you can find evidence of a stable climate at any time in the past, evidence of global warming worth worrying over? (h/t to WUWT.com, Crowdsourcing the WUWT Paleoclimate Reference Page – Continued,Posted on March 30, 2013 by justthefactswuwt)
- Climate Projections — The devil is in the details
- Roman Warm Period : Timeline and Decline
- Little Ice Age — Climate Trend Milestone?
- Global warming? While Hell freezes over?
- Notable weather events often catastrophic, 2010 years
- Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming? Aliens?
- CO2 emitted at a high rate by soil
- Trump lambasted on Paris ‘Agreement’ exit – is he wrong?
- Climate Crisis, Warming or the next Ice Age, Depopulation
- Another Green Crash Landing: Norway Buries CCS Project
- Freezing children in Norway — Africans help out