Protecting yourself from paternity fraud

Updated 2019 02 05: Added links to related articles.

The News & Observer
July 14, 2008

Ask Mr. Dad: Protecting yourself from paternity fraud

By ARMIN BROTT, McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Dear Mr. Dad: My wife and I are about to get a divorce. We have a 1-year-old boy and she’s pregnant with our second. Here’s the problem: She’s been having an affair for the last two years and I’m concerned that the children aren’t actually mine. What can I do to protect myself?

A: I’m sorry about your situation. Divorce is never easy, and it’s even tougher when you’ve been cheated on and children are involved.

Hire a lawyer immediately. Then get DNA tests for you and the children. Expect to pay upwards of $400 for the testing, but given the horror stories I’ve heard from men in your situation, it’s a worthwhile expense.

Your goal is to avoid becoming a victim of “Paternity Fraud.” This is when a mother lies about who a child’s father is for the purposes of monetary gain. In your case, you could be on the hook for 18 or more years of child support for a child or children who aren’t yours….(2008 08 03: The link to the location of the article at The News & Observer no longer functions.  However, the full text of Armin Brott’s article is accessible at his website.)

#ChildCustodyAwards #Family #PaternityFraud

See also:

(Visited 11 times, 1 visit(s) today)
This entry was posted in Child-Custody Awards, Family, Paternity Fraud. Bookmark the permalink.